notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Wednesday, April 02, 2003  

np: the jayhawks - "all the right reasons"

"Was I ever going to know?" I asked.

"I was going to put you to sleep, put you in a suitcase, and send you to her. One day you would wake up there and you would feel like your whole life here with me was a dream." She tried to force a laugh, but it didn't make it past her throat. "I had this plan, you see. I thought it was a good plan. I was going to tell you this, that in one week you would be going to see your mother. As far as you woudl know, it would just be a visit. I felt it in my heart and took it on Monsieur Augustin's advice that, once you got there, you would love it so much that you would beg your mother to let you stay. You have heard with your own two ears what everyone has said. We have no right to be sad."


- from Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

something about this struck me when i read it. and i was definitely saddened. on the plus side, i talked to melissa on the phone tonight for the first time in ages. it is good to know her again after going so long between speaking. nothing personal. just not knowing how to get in touch. if i ever needed an excuse to finally go see that burgeoning metropolis of new bern, north carolina, it's in going out to visit her.

the woman who hit me was driving a toyota 4-runner. it was her second DWI. i don't know what to say precisely.

posted by J. Neas | 4/02/2003 03:10:00 AM


Comments: Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information