notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Monday, April 26, 2004  

np: son volt - wide swing tremolo

so, i'm cheap and haven't upgraded my haloscan, so there's a one-thousand character limit; thus, i can't respond as i'd like to the questions being asked. so i'm creating this post and will edit it as questions arrive. feel free to add new questions to the comment box on this post as well as the last one. first, from charlie:

1) How difficult is it for you to step back and look at the bigger picture? - Sometimes it's very hard. Being a zealous liberal (and an unapologetic idealist as well), the larger picture is something i'm still coping with. I voted for Nader in 2000 afterall. I'm getting a bit better at it, but it's something I have to deal with daily. But look at me. Even now I'm answering this question as if big picture = making sacrifices. It shouldn't (and doesn't) necessarily run that way.

2) Do you believe that there are questions in life that have no answers? - Aside from 'If a tree falls in the woods..?' Yes, but that's not to say that they are un-answerable. Maybe they're just not for living humans to know. There is a beauty in mystery that I have to enjoy as a lover of literature. If Poe had explained how the Red Death had gotten into Prospero's castle, what fun would that be?

3) When was the last time you looked at the stars? - The last time I was really able to look was at christmas up at my family's cabin in Virginia. Miles and miles away from light pollution, the view up there is tremendous. The most recent time I really tried was driving home the other night. And last night when riding back from Chapel Hill, staring at the moon for a bit.

now, elizabeth weighs in:

1) Are you always in love somehow? - Well, ignoring the fact that's the theme of a rather lovely song by Wilco, in a sense yes. Although love isn't the precise word. People who have known my songwriting for some time know that my character sketches of people whom I adore are plenty. Oddly enough I write far less about the people I have really, really loved in my life. They move me but in a very different way. Although some of my very favorite pieces I've ever written ("Tall and Slow" especially) were about loves. So yes. I am.

2) Does your life move to a soundtrack? - Absolutely. Things are running through my head constantly. Especially when I'm on airport walking sidewalks; I always imagine myself walking to some musical theme on those. But I heed my musical whims. I think I noted the other day that I turned around halfway out the door in the morning to fetch a cd of a song that suddenly leaped into my thoughts. My days are happier when I do follow.

3) Do you like black cats? *merow* - I've, personally, never owned a cat. I do like cats in general, though. I don't know that I have a fancy for a certain color or not. But sure.

hey, your questions could be next. well, they will be if you comment and ask.


posted by J. Neas | 4/26/2004 08:28:00 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information