Parents and students say they are outraged and offended by a proposed band name and song scheduled for a high school talent show in Boulder this evening, but members of the band, named Coalition of the Willing, said the whole thing is being blown out of proportion.
But some students and adults who heard the band rehearse called a radio talk show Thursday morning, saying the song the band sang ended with a call for President Bush to die.
Threatening the president is a federal crime, so the Secret Service was called to the school to investigate.
well, no surprise there. why should anyone bother to be familiar with art? or at least, bother to read into it. the song, obviously, having been written in 1963, contains no threats to president bush. neither did the students change the lyrics (according to the article). if you really aren't familiar with the song, here's the last stanza:
And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead
it's easily one of dylan's most shrill and white-hot-hatred filled songs. and i have to give those kids mad props for covering that song. the best i managed in my high school band, aslan, was toad the wet sprocket's "fall down" and wire's "12XU." (which, one day, will be the vanity plate on my automobile.) still, give us credit for referencing the chronicles of narnia. my prior band was named Loman. anyone catch that allusion?