notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Tuesday, June 27, 2006  

Senators Burr and Dole:

I was disappointed to find that you voted for Senate Joint Resolution 12 that would've supported the addition of an amendment to the Constitution banning flag burning. There are two reasons I find your vote unpleasant.

First, one of the finest freedoms we celebrate in this country is the freedom of speech. Our right as human beings to express ourselves is as vital as anything else in the foundation of our country. Protesting the direction or actions taken by our country by burning a flag is an enormous, painful and important statement. A citizen that chooses to burn the flag in protest is often saying to those around him or her, "Listen! The very values that our country stands for, the ones represented by the colors and symbols in this flag, are in danger and are not being protected. We must do something about it." In choosing to protest by burning the flag, they are taking upon themselves one of the most sacred, trusted rights and duties in our country: the right to question and protest our government and country.

Finally I am disappointed because for the second time, after the vote on the Federal Marriage Amendment, this month the United States senate has chosen to occupy its time not with a serious discussion of healthcare, Medicare, the Iraq war, poverty or any other numerous problems the American people find pressing and important. Instead, the Senate decided to waste the voters' time by positioning themselves in a blatant election-year posture. I, frankly, couldn't care less that you voted for this bill. The fact that you voted against the minimum wage increase last week is all I need to know as a constituant and a voter to tell me how much your stand as 'protector of our country' really means. I am severely disappointed in you and think you ought to be ashamed.

Work harder. You went into politics for a reason that, I hopefully assume, was a noble and caring one. Votes like this make me doubt that severely.

Sincerely,

Josh Neas.

posted by J. Neas | 6/27/2006 10:26:00 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information