notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Wednesday, June 21, 2006  

Senators Burr and Dole:

Senator Kennedy's recent amendment proposal, S. Amend. 4322, regarding the raising of the minimum wage, was an important and vital piece of legislation. I am severely disappointed to see that you voted against even bringing this to the floor for a vote.

As you obviously are not aware, the minimum wage has been locked at $5.15/hr. for almost 10 years. This stagnation in changing the wage has led to the wage being worth nearly the lowest, adjusted for inflation, in the past 50 years. If the 1968 minimum wage level were adjusted to meet today's inflation levels, it would be worth $9.09, nearly 75% higher than the current wage.

I assume that you are not aware of these facts because otherwise I am flummoxed to understand why you would've voted against this piece of legislation. Raising the minimum wage is something that has been raised in the Senate on a yearly basis, and yet you've consistantly kept it from passing. Explain to me why it is that you think that an American citizen who works a full-time, minimum wage job should still be considered 'poor' by our own economic standards.

I eagerly await your thoughtful reply.

Sincerely,

Josh Neas.

posted by J. Neas | 6/21/2006 03:33:00 PM


Comments:
What really boggles my mind is that the estate tax "adjustment" (tax break for billionaires) that the Republicans want, which will abolish the estate tax for estates under $5 million - THAT will adjust every year for inflation.
And yet the minimum wage does not adjust for inflation.
Corporations regularly issue cost of living increases to salaried employees.. and the minimum wage stays the same.
What is the thought process on this? Unfortunately, I know exactly what the thought process is..
 
Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information