notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Sunday, November 05, 2006  

The whole trial of Saddam Hussein makes me uneasy. It has seemed slipshod and ramshackle, barely able to function in a way that a court of law ought to function. And despite Hussein's nearly unquestionable guilt (whether it be for the crimes he was charged with in this trial, or others equally heinous), I find myself troubled by the verdict.

There are those who would probably argue that the ends justify the means in this trial. That Hussein's verdict is what he deserves and that whatever it took to get him there is ultimately as fair and just as what he did or ordered done to others over his years as tyrannical ruler.

I do not agree. Those who would throw the rule of law out for Saddam Hussein, whether they admit so or not, would do the same for any other person, including any American citizen. The evolution of the rights of humans did not come to this point to be eschewed in the pursuit of justice. The trial is justice - not the verdict.

I also believe the death penalty to be the wrong verdict for Saddam. I oppose the death penalty without exception, even when it comes to people like Hussein. There is no 'right' in this verdict. Justice is not served in carrying out the very thing that Hussein was convicted of doing - taking a life. Justice would be better served by Hussein sitting out the rest of his days in prison, pondering the great highs and lows of his existence. As it is, his punishment will be brief. As it could've been, his punishment would be much more deserved and lengthy.

How fitting that my students should be studying Macbeth right now, as I can imagine if given the choice between his sentences, Hussein would have fought to the last, refusing to be on display as the deposed tyrant ruler encaged. Quote Macbeth:

Macduff: Then yield thee, coward,
and live to be the show and gaze o' th' time.
We'll have thee, as our rarer monsters are,
Painted upon a pole, and underwrit
'Here may you see the tyrant.'

Macbeth: I will not yield...to be baited with the rabble's curse...
Yet I will try the last. Before my body
I throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff;
And damn'd be him that first cries 'Hold,
enough!'

Instead of the infinite mercy and justice of God, we have the quick, destructive revenge of Man.

It is not a good day.

posted by J. Neas | 11/05/2006 06:17:00 PM


Comments:
Praise Jesus! Someone with some sensible opinions about the death penalty. I'm with you--without exception.

And praise Jesus that you updated this thing. I'm about to start pulling links, and am glad that yours won't be one.
 
Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information