notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Monday, October 08, 2007  

"The Modern Dance (for Lester)"

Peter Laughner is dead, so Lester said (Bangs 217)
and now so is Lester too,
and this all happened way before
I even knew who either was.
I had a book by Robert Palmer;
it taught me about Pere Ubu
and Brynn, she bought me a book of Lester's work.
Only Brynn is still alive.
Does it take a history book
to give someone a legacy -
a legacy that matters greatly
turns the tides and sets the sails?
I was thinking Kristen Pfaff is dead,
Josh Clayton-Felt is too.
What does it take to be remembered?
I don't think I really know.
Does a poem have a resonance
greater than a written page?
Shannon Hoon is dead; Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee too.
How long does an echo last?
Peter Laughner is dead, so Lester said
and now so is Lester too.
Where we go we take them with us.
There is nothing else to do.

Bangs, Lester. "Peter Laughner." Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung - The Work of a Legendary Critic: Rock 'N' Roll as Literature and Literature as Rock 'N' Roll. Ed. Griel Marcus. New York, NY: Vintage, 1987. 217-223.

posted by J. Neas | 10/08/2007 11:39:00 AM


Comments: Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information