Tuesday, April 08, 2008
This is a picture from a little over two years ago of my fearsome twosome, Potter (grey, in the rear) and Usagi (black, in the front). They are sweet bunnies, though Potter tends to not like to be picked up much. This naturally led Usagi to be my favorite. He would patiently let me hold him and stroke his ears and generally was a pretty peaceable and fat bunny.
I came home last Friday and found Usagi dead in their cage out back of the house. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I am still terribly sad about it. I spent a good bit of Friday evening snuffling and tearing up about it. I buried him in a portion of the garden with a rock as a headstone to mark it. I also put one of the recently blooming tulips in between his front paws when I laid him down. It all seems fairly sentimental and stuff, but these guys were the first pets I ever bought AND cared for myself. So it made it all the harder to have one of them die.