| notes from underground - societal whispers all the news that print will fit. |
|
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 np: Crooked Fingers - "Modern Dislocation" I'm back to including a song/album I'm listening to at the beginning of posts. Thus the Now Playing (np) denotation at the top. I'm also going to make it so you can listen to the song since in one way or another, it channels the mood of the post. Or at least that's the goal. Plus, it'll be good stuff. Just click on the song title to listen. Enjoy. -- I went out looking for a trench coat today, to no avail. Mostly because despite looking and seeing that there was a Goodwill in Burlington, and on Church Street no less, I was unable to find the store when I went. Instead I went further into Burlington than I've ever felt the need or desire to go. I stayed on Church Street and just drove. This was upon exiting my dentist's office. A cool fall day, bright and sunny, had turned into a rapidly darkening evening. These are some of my favorite days of autumn - the trees hanging on to the last half of their colored charges, grey clouds obliterating the sunset while outlined in its hues. Nothing felt rushed, and thus, when I failed to see the Goodwill, I simply kept driving. I ended up at a Salvation Army that I happened upon, but there were no coats to be had. I kept driving anyway, finally turning around when I entered the city of Haw River. On my way back, at a stoplight, I looked to my right and saw a restaurant. An aged neon sign perched atop the building, advertising that this was the Western Charcoal Steak House. In the rapidly greying light of afternoon, the still dim light of the neon glowed warmly, beckoning. I wished I had my camera with me as it reminded me an awful lot of my friend Sara's photo that currently resides as my desktop wallpaper. Not having to work today, when I was ready to go to bed last night, I didn't feel the urge to force myself to sleep so readily. So I looked for something to read. My bookshelves are crowded with books I've yet to read, but like most things, I have to really feel the desire to experience it. Otherwise I feel like I'm not ready for it yet and may miss something. I picked up a book of short stories by George Singleton, an author from South Carolina, whose excellent short story collection The Half-Mammals of Dixie I had read a few years ago. These People Are Us actually pre-dates that other book, and I have had it on my shelf for some time. In the opening story, I stumbled across a couple of passages I enjoyed. Removed from the context of the story, they probably lose some of their power, but I thought I would share them anyway if only to give you a taste of Singleton's writing and encourage you to pick up some of his work. Both of these are from the short story "Remember Why We're Here." "I looked over at the reverend and knew he didn't sell the cabin because of sick relatives and too many memories. I knew, too, that I'd met destitute men outside of bars down in Greenville, and offered them a ride to the shelter that Faith Ministries operated, but no one took me up because they didn't like having to feign guilt, humility, and obedience for a plate of mashed potatoes and green beans. More than once I'd given a man two dollars and said, 'Don't lie to me about what you'll spend it on. I don't really care. Booze or BLT - it doesn't make a difference.' -- "My wife and I sat there quiet until pure darkness set in, until we couldn't make out bats flitting overhead. We didn't mention money or morality, cause and effect, or luck. We didn't niggle each other to remember a time when our marriage wasn't so secure. I talked myself out of thinking about the times when I insisted on eating nothing but sardines and Slim Jims just to prove how poor I'd grown up.posted by J. Neas | 11/11/2008 06:22:00 PM
Comments:
Post a Comment
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||