notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Saturday, January 01, 2011  

np: Lissie - Catching a Tiger

So, this post serves as a memento of the goals I'm setting for this year regarding writing. I have some other resolution-esque things that I'll keep to myself, but this is a way of launching some particular ones. My friend Adam has always talked up the idea of being a consistent writer, even if it's just minor things, on a daily basis. I'd like to try and write something every day this year. That could be a blog post (like this one), a radio show write-up (like I already do every Wednesday), a song, a critical review (for Aquarium Drunkard), or any number of things. I want this to be open so that I'm not feeling tied to particular types of writing or pressured to add things to an already pretty loaded schedule. I have some ideas: I want to start a hot dog review blog for Triad area hot dog joints; I want to rekindle the old 'Notes from Underground' column for my radio show blog; I want to make a habit of working on more long-form pieces for AD as well. I will not count writing done for teaching unless it is creative. A lot of my lesson plan writing is creative, granted, but not in the same way. I don't want to count writing done for work as I want to make sure I'm pursuing something strictly for the enjoyment of it. These are all things floating around my head.

So, I will consider this a success if I a) write something, no matter what, every day and b) feel like I've created some really good writing, or at least the basis for some, by the end of the year.

I'm hoping to do a bit more writing here this year. This blog holds a lot of wonderful memories for me, so I want to keep it up to some extent. Maybe at least make it so all the main page posts are from the same year. That'd be a serious improvement.

Do I need to keep a journal of what I write each day? Perhaps. That's not my style, but it'd be a way of documenting how successful I am with this. We'll see.

So. Here we go.

Labels:

posted by J. Neas | 1/01/2011 04:22:00 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information