notes from underground - societal whispers
all the news that print will fit.


Sunday, June 03, 2012  

np: The National - "Fake Empire"

Sometimes the np: at the top is literally what is playing, but sometimes, as now, it is simply what is in my head. I'm not sure why I thought about that song. Maybe cos it seems like a good day to "put a little something in our lemonade" and take it with us somewhere. This has been an awfully pleasant summer in many ways so far. Not too terribly hot thus far; certainly not what I expected given our non-winter.

Since my last post I read Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. This is where I admit one of the large holes in my reading experience and say that this was the first Vonnegut novel I've ever read. After all these years, Vonnegut felt like one of those things I just should have read when I was in high school in order to truly get the most out of it. At 30, it just wouldn't have the impact. And maybe that's the blinders of prejudice going in but that's exactly how I felt about it. It was good - don't get me wrong. It made me chuckle. And it reminded me of (and yes, I realize this is a bit of a foolish comparison given their relative ages and such, but I'm going by when I read things here, not when they were published) a darker, deeper Douglas Adams. Adams was always good at putting lovely humanist touches into his deeply silly stories - the pathos with the laughos as it was. Vonnegut seems much darker - there's no doubt that Cat's Cradle is about some of the essential stupidity of humanity - and a touch deeper with his ideas. But they are also the ideas I would have latched onto more in my younger and more vulnerable days. This is not to dismiss his writing as geared only for younger readers. And if anything, I like looking at his writing from the perspective of me as an older person. But I don't know how much will be in it for me. I plan on at least reading the other novels that I've come to think or 'know' of as his most essential ones - but I don't know that they will climb into any sort of personal canon of great writing.

I like reading this much. It's good to feel like I'm sort of waking up again and doing the things I've forgotten how to do.

posted by J. Neas | 6/03/2012 01:59:00 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
communique
are 'friends' electric?
political science
local motion
ministry of information